Jump to content


Photo

No entry in Add/Remove program applet


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ksudupa

ksudupa
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 14:49

Hello,

I am building installables for my product using Developer 9.0. Using this package I am able to install my software on a remote machine silently.

But I have a very peculiar problem.

When I try to install my product in a remote machine where a user is logged in ( using schedule tasks ) then the product gets installed properly and valid entries appears in Add/Remove Programs applet.

But if there is no user 'logged in' in the remote machine and I try to install the product ( using schedule tasks ) then all the registry entries required by my prodcut gets created and the product runs just fine but no entries gets created in Add/Remove Programs applet.

Registry entries gets created as mentioned below in both the cases (i.e.
when installing in a machine where a User logged and when installing in a machine where a no User is logged)

"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"
and
"HKCR\installer\products"

The installation of the package is schduled using "at" command

Eg:

at \\targetmachine 14:35 c:\Trial\Setup.exe /s

Any input for this problem shall be highly appreciated.

Regards
Udupa


#2 Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 15:03

A scheduled task normally runs as LocalSystem, unless you assign a user account to use for the task. LocalSystem has access to most of the computers, but normally not to UNC paths, HKCU and other user specific items. As far as I know it doesn't have access to mapped drives either. I'd bet that your install will complete correctly if you assign a user account to run it with.

It is not normal procedure to run installations as scheduled tasks. They are generally run during logon scripts, assigned from active directory, run manually etc...
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

#3 ksudupa

ksudupa
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 15:58

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt attempt to solve the problem.
I am using a valid user account ( with administrator privileges ) to start the task in the windows scheduler.
"Setup.exe" is kept at the target machine in which it is intended to install, at the path "C:\Trial\Setup.exe".
And the "at" command is fired from one of the machine in the network to just schedule the task at the target machine.

May be things are more clearer now. Feel free to ask any other things that U need to know.

Regards,
Udupa


#4 Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

    InstallSite.org

  • Administrators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 20:04

Did you try to set ALLUSERS=1 ?

#5 ksudupa

ksudupa
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:47

Hi,

I tried setting "ALLUSERS=1" while running the setup.exe in silent mode. But that still doesn't work out.
So, I ran the installation with "ALLUSERS=1" in a silent mode and kept the verbose logging on.

>From that I could see the following :

**************************************************************************

Action ended 17:22:31: CostFinalize. Return value 1.
1: Creating uninstallation information...
1: Failed to create uninstallation information, error is 0x80070002 === Verbose logging stopped: 8/16/2004 17:22:33 ===

**************************************************************************

So I thought it might be the problem with the user privileges with which I am trying to install the product.
Then I gave the user "administrator" privileges but still the same problem persist.

Can you help me out in this.

Regards,
Udupa


#6 Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

    InstallSite.org

  • Administrators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:36

It looks like this error is coming from a custom action. What tool and project type are you using to build your setup?

#7 ksudupa

ksudupa
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 14:13

We are using DEV9,and project type is InstallScript MSI project

Thanks
udupa


#8 Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

    InstallSite.org

  • Administrators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:19

So this error seems to occur while InstallShield tries to create the uninstall registry entry. There are a couple of possible causes (permissions, product name too long, ...) but unfortunately the error number 0x80070002 doesn't seem to be documented. I'd suggest you contact InstallShield support who should be able to find out what that error number means.

#9 ksudupa

ksudupa
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 15:40

Hi

I will contact installshield support further on this problem

Thanks
Udupa

#10 Neo

Neo
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:50

Try using the /runas switch to the setup.exe. It seems that IDriver.exe has problems running in the LocalSystem account. cool.gif

#11 ksudupa

ksudupa
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:33

/runas option did the magic. Even support team suggested the same.

Thanks
udupa