This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Visual Studio Installer 1.1 removePreviousVersions

1 reply to this topic

RossOliver

RossOliver
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 21:50

Hey,

I've made an MSI directly from a Visual Basic 6 project. Next, I made some simple updates and changed the product code, package code and version number. From what I have read I also need to change RemovePreviousVersions for my major upgrade, so it completely uninstalls any old versions before installing the new one. My problem is that I can't seem to find where to set this option, it doesn't appear to be in project properties in Visual Studio Installer 1.1 and I don't have an upgrade table in my MSI when I explore it with Orca.

I've attempted to add an upgrade table, but I don't think the values I used where quite right...

I also couldn't find a RemoveExistingProducts row in my MSI table.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks for your time,

-Ross

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:22

In VS.NET 2003 this is one of the properties of the deployment project. Maybe this setting doesn't exist in the older VSI 1.1.
In generla VS has very limited MSI capabilities and doesn't produce the best quality of .msi files. At least you may want to upgrade to the latest version, or use a different tool to build your msi file.

If you prefer to use VS 1.1 and post-process your .msi with Orca, then you need to add a Row to the Upgarde table (you may need to add that table first) and insert the FinRelatedProducts and RemoveExistingProducts actions to your .msi file. These are all documented in the SDK. I would recommend you open an existing third party .msi file with Orca as a sample.