This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Developer 8 SP2 "repairs" itself to be Developer 7

4 replies to this topic

PeterBoucher

PeterBoucher
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 16:00

When I started Developer 8.02 yesterday, it fired up the windows installer to "repair" itself.

Once the windows installer had completed installation, Developer IDE came up, but it showed a different Welcome page than it had in the past. The color scheme was different and most importantly it now refers to Developer 7.02. There's even a large PDF "Getting Started Manual" all about DEV7. I've never owned DEV7.

Perplexingly, the startup splash screen and the "Help:About InstallShield Developer" both still say "Version 8.0, Service Pack 2."

Also, annoyingly, every time I close the IDE, it runs this same "repair" process, which takes 30 seconds to a minute.

Any ideas what is going on, and how I can get my Developer 8.02 Welcome page back? The IDE itself seems to be working okay, but I'm concerned about this unexpected and annoying behavior.

Related Installshield Community Post

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 17:51

Try a repair install of Dev8 from the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet. If that doesn't help: uninstall and re-install.
Do you have automatic updates enabled? MAybe it's pushing the wrong welcome page as update?

PeterBoucher

PeterBoucher
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 18:30

Try a repair install of Dev8 from the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet. If that doesn't help: uninstall and re-install.

I tried both of those things.

Now there are two others in the installshield community reporting the same problem.

I even installed it on a clean image and created a blank project and quit, and the same thing happened.

Then I installed it on a clean image after setting the clock back 6 months and it didn't happen. Then I set the clock to today's date and BOOM!

I have a valid license for this software, and it doesn't say anything about a timebomb, it just fires up the windows installer "Please wait while Microsoft hoses Installshield Developer..."

Do you have automatic updates enabled? MAybe it's pushing the wrong welcome page as update?

Sure enough. Should I turn that off? Are any of the updates important? Is there another way to get them?

Thanks ALOT, by the way.

Peter

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 19:34

There are service packs and hotfixes, but you could download them (while updates are enabled), then clean the machine and install without internet connetion, and install those updates offline. At least as a test

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 20:05

InstallShield has officially acknowledged the problem and are working on a fix:
A CAB file downloaded by Developer 8 as part of the InstallShield Today page has become corrupted. This is being repaired as we speak.

I am sorry for the disruption - please stand by for a follow-up email regarding the resolution to this issue.

Bob Corrigan
InstallShield Product Manager