This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to rename msi file during build time

2 replies to this topic

Amarjeet

Amarjeet
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 17:41

Hi

I would like to rename my msi file during build. Say msi file name should be PproductName Vx.0.0.BuildNumber.

I created a path variable for above string and assigned to MSI file name in releases - MSI Package file name. But it does not work. Name of my path variable is PATH1. I tried to set the field with PATH1 or <PATH1>
and i get name of the msi file as PATH1 in first case and second case error.

I would also like to know consequences of renaming the msi file for patching / major upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Amarjeet

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 17:52

Amarjeet,

The file name is usually set to be the product name of your package.  If you change the product name, your file name will also change.

I set my product name in a build script using the automation interface.

using VB:

Set objInst = CreateObject("ISWiAuto22.ISWiProject")  <- SAB 2015 object.  Different for different versions and editions of IS

objInst.OpenProject (<ProjectFile>)

objInst.ProductVersion = some string

objInst.ProductName = some other string

objInst.SaveProject
objInst.CloseProject

As far as patching goes, I have found that patches are a manual process.  They don't normally care about the msi file name.  Or at least this has not been my experience with patches.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 15:49

Changing the msi file name requires a Major Upgrade, according to this: https://msdn.microso...0(v=vs.85).aspx