This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Merge module causing problems during patch install

2 replies to this topic

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 13:02

Hi,

I am facing a problem as a result of some changes carried out in a merge module. I have a particular version of the product(eg: version x.0) installed . This version already has a merge module as part of it. Due to some requirements, this particular merge module was modified by adding a new component to it. This new merge module component contains a .net assembly file as its key file. This file was never installed along with the product as part of version x.0. We have an upcoming service pack release for this product (eg. version = x.1) and the service pack version of the installer contains this modified merge module. When an end user carries out an installation of a patch built using x.0 and x.1 version of the installers on a drive other than the C:\ drive (eg:e:\), the patch package is installing this .net assembly file into C:\program files\<PRODUCT NAME> instead of installing this file into [INSTALLDIR] on the E:\ drive.
I am unable to understand the strange behaviour exhibited by the patch package.

I am using install shield 11.5 professional edition.

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Kiran Hegde

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:23

Hi everybody,

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Kiran Hegde

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:07

Generate a log file and see which value INSTALLDIR gets during the update. You may need to read it using AppSearch to persists its value.
Also note that the destination of the component in your merge module will be something like INSTALLDIR_module-guid. Make sure your Directory table is set up such that this INSTALLDIR from the merge module gets the same value as the main INSTALLDIR.