This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstallation dialog

10 replies to this topic

hmoeckel

hmoeckel
  • Full Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 13:06

Hi

I built a Basic-MSI Project.
I would like to know if it is possible to pop up a user defined dialog during uninstallation.

Thanks

hm

berno

berno
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:38

Which IS version do you have. I know with DevStudio 9 and IX it is possible do define your own dialog (User Interface -> Dialogs) and to define the sequenz (Behavior and Logic -> Sequences) when during the installation it should pop up.

berno

hmoeckel

hmoeckel
  • Full Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:53

Thank you

I'm using DevStudio 7.

I know how to insert custom dialogs into the installation sequence.

I would like to know how to insert custom dialogs into the UN-installation sequence, which appears during the ( Add/remove panel) - Uninstall.-procedure

hm

berno

berno
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 13:50

It doesn't work in the MaintenanceWelcome dialog sequence?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 17:10

If you select Remove from Add/remove Programs MSI performs a uninstall with basic UI. You can't 8and shouldn't) display dialogs here. (You could do it by calling a dialog in a DLL as a custom action, but I don't recommend this)

Instead you could disable the Remove button in control panel, so that users have to go thrugh Modify and then select Remove from your MaintenenaceWelcome dialog.

hmoeckel

hmoeckel
  • Full Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:31

thank you

raymund

raymund
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 19:14

Hi Stefan,

why do you not recommend the use of a custom action which show a dialog in the uninstall sequence?

I can't see what should be problematic there if I care for active directory deinstalls etc.

Regards,
Raymund

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:05

I'm recommending against showing dialogs during uninstall in gerneral. I do recommend against showing dialogs that require user intereaction in silent more or basic ui mode because these modes are designed to work without user interaction.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:18

I had some odd results when disabling the remove button in ARP once. Specifically I think it resulted in there being no button enabled in ARP or the button being missing on certain operating systems. I think it was Windows 9X. Again, not very sure in what case this happened, but I remember there was a problem with this.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:23

That's true. Older operating systems don't have a separate Remove button, they only have a "Modify/Remove" button. On these systems you should not set the ARPNOREMOVE property, otherwise the button will disappear completely. I'D recommend setting ARPNOREMOVE with a custom action using the proper OS conditions.

raymund

raymund
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 14:15

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2004-07-23 09:05)
I'm recommending against showing dialogs during uninstall in gerneral. I do recommend against showing dialogs that require user intereaction in silent more or basic ui mode because these modes are designed to work without user interaction.

Well yes Microsoft seems to think that a deinstallation never needs User interaction, but I can think about numerous situations I think they are necessary. A program that uses some GPO settings, which can't be deleted using Windows Installer mechanisms as far as I know. Maybe the user want they to be left or she want them to be removed. I have to ask.

I see that you also think that, as you recommend to trick the installer to show an UI using change.

The way Microsoft decide here what is best for me, is a bit annoying.

Thanks for the answer,
raymund