This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Launching program as logged on user

2 replies to this topic

jasonatx0001

jasonatx0001
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 22:29

When running my installer, if the logged in user does not have administrator privileges he/she is prompted for the admin password and promoted to administrator and the install begins. Once the install is completed and the user clicks the finish button on the setupcompletesuccess dialog 2 systray processes are launched. The issue is that these processes are run as administrator, not the logged in user. How can I correct this ?

chrpai

chrpai
  • Full Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:05

It sounds like your using RunAs instead of elevated priv installs?

I don't really play with Elevated much since I usually use SMS 2003 to run the install with elevated privs ( SYSTEM ). But I have had occasion where I needed to run something under the context of the logged on user. Basically I install a custom DCOM server that exposes a Run method and configure it to run as the interactive user.

I've talked about it here before:

http://chrpai.blogsp...okreserver.html
Christopher Painter, MCSE
Author of:
DeploymentEngineering.com
MSI Factory Provider for ADO.NET 2.0 (Work In Progress)
99 Bottles Of Beer - Windows Installer

PM for personal communication only. Please ask questions in the forums.

jasonatx0001

jasonatx0001
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 16:22

Yes ... I've actually seen your article before and have tried to implement it. I am, however, not installing via sms, I am installing interactively. The processes are being started as administrator (not SYSTEM - even when using your DCOM method although it is entirely possible i've got it set up wrong) and I'd like them to start as the logged on user. Any suggestions ?