This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

DLL GUID awol

3 replies to this topic

Tyler Curtis

Tyler Curtis
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 20:24

If I delete the HKCR\TypLib GUID for one of my company's dll and then run repair from control panel, add/remove programs; the HKCR\TypLib registry is not repaired (GUID is not found and program breaks).

The dll is a component of a merge module and is set to register using "Use Advanced Settings" in the ISWI.

Upon further investigation, another dll (in another merge module) that is installed using "Self-Register" is repaired (GUID is replaced the HKCR\TypLib) when performing the same test.

It seems that the dll's that wind up in the .msi registry table are repaired and the others are not. (??)

I understand that "Self -Registration" is not recommended for many reasons sooo... - What am I missing?? How do I get the dll's entries to repair?

P.S. I am using ISWI 2.03 to create projects and merge modules.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Thanks!
Tyler Curtis
Craftsman Book Company

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:57

The repair usually works on the Key file for the component.

So if the regsistry is a components key file, or the component has that contains the regsitry value has its key file missing/damaged then the registry will be repaired.

Also, have a look at the reinstall settings, you might be able to change something there that will fix your problem.

Tyler Curtis

Tyler Curtis
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 22:35

Luke, thanks for the reply!

The current experience is that each one of the dll's is a key file, only one file in each component.

I will try the reinstall setting suggestion. Currently it is omus, maybe emus will work better.

I noticed that which ever dll/ocx is entered in the .msi registry table gets the guid reinstalled and the ones that are not, don't.

I would like to know how to get the ISWI to fill in the registry table without having to set the component registration to "Self-Register". The dll has COM registration entries for Type Library, they just don't seem to make it into the .msi registry table with the component registration set to "Use Advanced Settings". Any help along this line would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Tyler Curtis
Craftsman Book Company

Tyler Curtis

Tyler Curtis
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 17:41

sad.gif ReinstallMode set to emus didn't work.
Thanks!
Tyler Curtis
Craftsman Book Company