This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade only works from IDE

8 replies to this topic

HappyFunBall

HappyFunBall
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 15:06

My upgrade works fine when run from the IDE (10.0 sp1), but does nothing when run from the setup.exe.

Its a major upgrade with feature changes/removal.
The version is 1.00.trial vs 1.00.0000, but I've left the Product/Upgrade codes unchanged. This seemed to work fine from the IDE; the uninstall and reinstall went perfect... The UI sequence is identical except the quick message about 'removing old versions'.

But running from the setup.exe says 'This will perform an upgrade ... continue?'. It DOESN'T run the UI sequence, just a 'resuming installation' screen. But nothing gets changed, old features still there, none of the new features.

HappyFunBall

HappyFunBall
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 15:38

Changing versions from 1.00.trial to 2.00.00000 made no difference either.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:51

In the IDE there's an option to uninstall the old version before installing the new version. This is done by the IDE to make testing easier. You should turn this option off to avoid confusion. (It's an IDE preference option, not a project setting)

Then add a Major Upgrade item to your project and perform Upograde Validation to see if everything is set up correctly for your Major Upgrade. (I'm not sure if this is possible for "InstallScript MSI" projects)

There are known upgrade issues with "InstallScript MSI" rojects. Therefore I strongly recommend using "Basic MSI" instead.

HappyFunBall

HappyFunBall
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 18:44

Well I rebuilt with Basic MSI in case Installscript was the problem: I'm still getting the same behavior - it says an upgrade will be performed, but nothing is replaced.

I've attached the validation results.log. Some of what it says makes no sense to me: it has "errors" about not being able to perform a minor/small upgrade, but adding a major upgrade item made no difference. And differences in components claimed - I didn't change anything in them, just replaced them in the non-trial release.

Does having a trial and non-trial release with different components for the .exe and other files make sense in the same .msi installer?

Why is a validation check even necessary? If I've asked it to do a complete uninstall and it SAYS it will perform the upgrade, what do changes matter? Wipe it out, baby, save the user that uninstall step.

Thanks for the help, Stefan.

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 19:06

The first validation entry says:
This setup will perform a MINOR upgrade of the referenced previous setup

So I guess you didn't change the ProductCode.

HappyFunBall

HappyFunBall
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 19:48

Ok, changing the product code results in no message about upgrade to occur, but leaves the old product, and in Add/Remove Programs there are TWO entries.

The validation log is attached.

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 14:48

Das ist schon besser. Jetzt das nächste Problem:
The setup needs to perform a Major Upgrade of the previous setup specified. While upgrade table entries exist for the Upgrade Code, there is no upgrade table entry that matches the Product Version '1.00.trial' or Product Language '1033'.

In den Upgrade-Einstellungen musst du die ProductVersion deiner alten Version angeben, oder den radiobutton "any earlier version" wählen.
Übrigens ist '1.00.trial' sowieso keine gültige ProductVersion. Windows Installer erlaubt hier nur Zahlen.

HappyFunBall

HappyFunBall
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 00:02

Ok, I'm using 1.00.0000 instead of 1.00.trial.

And I've tried "Products sharing my upgrade code",
and "Products with another upgrade code" (pasting the same code there),
and "Any earlier version",
and "range x-1.00.0000",

makes no difference: I still get 2 installs in Add/Remove programs, with the older product still in the directories.

The validation log is attached.

(thank the internet for BabelFish!)

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 19:57

Sorry for the language - this sometimes happens when I randomly move between the English and the German part of the forum smile.gif

The setup needs to perform a Major Upgrade of the previous setup specified. While upgrade table entries exist for the Upgrade Code, there is no upgrade table entry that matches the Product Version '1.00.0000' or Product Language '1033'.

So assuming that your old version is 1.00.0000 and the new version is 1.00.0001 (or any other greater value) there might be a problem with your language setting. Are both of your setups marked as 1033?