This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

I copy files to FOLDER_TEMP... and poof! Gone!

3 replies to this topic

Alphathree33

Alphathree33
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 22:15

My problem is very simple:

I'm running a major upgrade that uninstalls and then reinstalls my application.

Before the uninstall, I copy some files to FOLDER_TEMP (in a subdirectory that I create).

I then perform the uninstall (RemoveExistingProducts) and try to copy the files back... but by the time I go to do that, they're gone!

I thought that maybe it removes them because they're in the TEMP folder (although I have no idea why it would be so eager to do this halfway through the upgrade), so I tried FOLDER_PERSONAL. Nope. Poof. Gone.

What's going on here?

(I've watched C:\Doc & Settings\...\temp with windows explorer, and I actually see my files appear and then disappear)

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:21

Try running the upgrade with verbose logging turned on.

msiexec /I "msipackage.msi" /L*V c:\msilog.txt

It is quite possible that your first install is actually removing the files. You should be able to see this from the install log.

Alphathree33

Alphathree33
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 14:34

And if it WERE removing the files, what would I do about it?

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 23:32

If it is removing the files, you will need to work out where this is coming from and look at fixing it smile.gif

Its really hard to give advise from here since i don't know much about the install.