This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Update of service requires reboot

1 reply to this topic

dorelsturm

dorelsturm
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 16:40

Hi there,

I a have a Basic MSI installer that installs a service (contained in the file myService.exe) say version 1.0.

Now I have a new installer that is doing a minor upgrade of the product. The file myService.exe should be replaced with a new version.

Everything works fine except for Windows 2000: sometimes (very oft) after doing the upgrade a system reboot is necessary! Here is what I do:
- install version 1.0 build 100 with setup.exe. Everything works OK
- install version 1.0 build 200 with setup.exe. A dialog asking to upgrade will appear. Click OK and let the installer to the upgrade.
After this, from time to time the system asks for reboot (only on Windows 2000, not on XP)
After some research I found in the log file that InstallValidate adds something like this:

"Info 1603. The file "myService.exe" is being held in use by the following process: myService.exe, ID:....., window title:....... Close that application and retry"

This is somehow correct because at upgrade time the service is running. But this is also incorrect because the myService.exe file will be replaced when the service is stopped (I see in the progress bar steps like "Stopping services, copying new files, starting services etc).

This is very interesting because:
- it happens only on Windows 2000 and not all the time
- in Components for "Control NT Services" I have:
Install Start -> Yes
Install Stop->Yes
Install Delete -> No
Uninstall Start -> No
Unistall Stop->Yes
Unintall Delete -> Yes
- after upgrade, the new file for myServive.exe is there and is running.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your support.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 20:43

You could try stopping your service using a custom actions that's scheduled before InstallValidate.