This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Other users can't see Root registry keys?

3 replies to this topic

atticus

atticus
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 21:22

I've got a repackaged SAPgui MSI that works pretty well. However, it turns out that after you install as an administrator, no other users on the machine can see keys I've installed to HKCR\CLSID (etc.). They can see the keys in HKLM no problem. It doesn't matter whether the other users are Admins or Limited Users.

When I use the vendor installer that I captured, the program works fine. If I install the vendor EXE, then install my MSI on top, it continues to work fine. In fact, sometimes that permanently fixes the problem. I can uninstall/install my MSI from that point onward and it will work correctly.

The registry permissions are fine on both working and non-working machines; They are identical and should allow all types of users read access. I'm not sure it's a permissions problem at all, but I can't think of anything else that would do this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could possibly cause this behavior?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 22:47

Can you do a verbose log of the install and check what the value of ALLUSERS is during the install?

Verbose logging:
http://www.installsi...ifaq/a/1022.htm
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

atticus

atticus
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 19:53

QUOTE (Glytzhkof @ 2006-10-18 22:47)
Can you do a verbose log of the install and check what the value of ALLUSERS is during the install?

Well, that was silly of me. Somehow I managed to leave out the definition of ALLUSERS and disable the User Information screen which would set the value during the UI phase. The installer was performing a per-user install of course. I was confused because some portions of the install seem to have put the files in per-machine locations. Nevertheless, that solved the problem.

I'm still not sure how installing the keys per-user in the root hive works; I thought there was only one root hive for the whole machine and the only limiting factor was permissions. I guess my understanding of the workings of the registry needs some deepening.

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 20:36

HKCR displays a merge from HKLM\Classes and HKCU\Classes which may explain what you are seeing.