This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

CAB modification

3 replies to this topic

Seno

Seno
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:10

First of all, I like the site! I learnt so much from it. laugh.gif

I'm relatively new to Windows Installer, and I have a problem. I have an old package. It has the setup.exe, .msi and all oher .cab

Now.. I need to replace one file inside one of the CAB file with a new one (same filename). So I tried to extract the CAB into a folder (using Winzip), replaced the file and compressed it back with CABARC (compression type LZX:21)

Sadly, it didn't work. I got error 1334 during installation. Can someone give me a suggestion? I don't have the installshield project of that package. And this old package is all I have.. sad.gif

Thanks in advance.
Seno

Seno

Seno
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 17:07

Well, the simplest way I found was to remove that particular file from that component and add in the new file using Installshield Dev. A new Data1.cab was created.

Although... I'm still interested to know if there's any tool or way to replace a file inside a CAB file directly (and modify the msi automatically).

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:22

Hi Seno,

Even I too do the same, replace the file in the MSI and then save it, it will creat a new CAB file. It will work. I hope this is the simple solution.

And i am not sure, whether we can change the file which is present in the CAB or not.

If you have the files present externally(Physically), you can simply replace the new fiile in the source location and can run MSIFiler, it will make the modification in the MSI for you.
smile.gif

--- Vijay

RothmansUA

RothmansUA
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 14:22

QUOTE (Seno @ 2006-08-10 17:07)
Well, the simplest way I found was to remove that particular file from that component and add in the new file using Installshield Dev. A new Data1.cab was created.

Although... I'm still interested to know if there's any tool or way to replace a file inside a CAB file directly (and modify the msi automatically).

Microsoft Orca?
You can find it in Platform SDK.