This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

CA condition for Major Upgrade

4 replies to this topic

peterbi

peterbi
  • Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 22:29

Hi Stefan and all,

I work with ISDev7.04 Basic and am using major upgrade described at http://www.installis.../Upgrading.html.

I created several CAs (such as stop_services and restart_services), and would like to execute them during the upgrading process, but I couldn't find proper condition for them.

I have tried: UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE, Installed And Not REMOVE="ALL", etc., but the CAs are not executed - upgradint didn't work.

One of my old project (7.04 Basic) used [Installed And Not REMOVE="ALL"] and worked, but it doesn't work in my present package, I couldn't see where the cause is.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter

peterbi

peterbi
  • Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 23:11

Here is the log file (setup.exe /v"/lp+ log.log") ...

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.log   33.11KB   48 downloads

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 07:33

UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE is the right condition. It is set whenever windows installer uninstalls another product during a major upgrade. I think your custom action must be after the FindExistingProducts action.

The reason (Installed And Not REMOVE="ALL") does not work for a major upgrade is because the Installed property is not true when you install a major upgrade (you are installing a new product that is not Installed, the old product is installed, but it is registered as a different product. Hence the Installed code is not really usable for major upgrades).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

peterbi

peterbi
  • Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 18:57

Do you mean 'RemoveExistingProducts" or "FindRelatedProducts"?

I am testing with a newly created simple project (it only contains one file to install, and a dummy CA with condition UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE, plus the major upgrade settings described at http://www.installis...Upgrading.html).

I put the CA after both of the actions (FindRelatedProducts and RemoveExistingProducts), but it DID NOT work!

How and why??????

BTW, upgrading of the newly created project adds an instance of the product to Add/Remove each time, resulting multiple instances on Add/Remove panel, I can't remember how to fix it on my head now, I did do it long time ago ...

Thanks,
Peter

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 03:23

You need to author the Upgrade table to properly detect an existing installation. If you don't do this Windows Installer doesn't understand that you are installing a major upgrade, but instead installs the new product without removing the old.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul