This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall removes ALL registry keys

2 replies to this topic

Tobey

Tobey
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2001 - 21:24

How do I keep application created registry keys?

During the installation, my installer creates many reg keys in a nice heirarchy.  EX: HKLM\Software\Company\Key1\...
                                      Key2\...
                                      Key3\...

During the lifetime of the installed application, new keys are added, new values are added, and some values are modified.

Upon uninstall, the customer for this application has requested that all registry keys added by the application are left in the registry.  ( I don't think this is correct behavior, but I've already thrown in my 2 cents many times to no avail. )

It appears that I need to be able to retain an entire subtree of the reg keys, ex, key3 and everything under it.

So, how can I accomplish this with ISWI 2.03?

I tried putting the reg keys I want to keep into a seperate component, and marked that component as permenant.  This seems to have no effect.

I think that this should be simple;  I've worked with InstallShield 1.5, and be default we see the behavior the customer is interested in.  If we convert that project to ISWI 2.03, that same behavior holds true.  What I don't understand is why the project that we started from scratch in ISWI 2.03 shows the opposite behavior ( removing all reg keys. )

Any suggestions appreciated!

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 15:44

If you right-click on a key in the registry view in ISD7 (and I think ISWi 2), there are a list of options at the bottom of the resultant menu (Install, Uninstall, Uninstall If...).

Check those out and see if there's anything of any use to you there.

I suspect that the fact that upgrading it works okay means that it automatically changes it from the default ISWi setting, so I suspect you should be able to do that manually as well.