This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Modify Option in Visual Studio Installer

5 replies to this topic

John O

John O
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 18:04

Hi all-
Well, when I was evaluating Visual Studio Installer for my installs, I overlooked one important feature. When a VSI install is run in maintenance mode, it has only two options: Repair or Remove (No Modify!).

Some of my installs have simple check boxes or radio buttons to install optional features. Naturally, I would LIKE for my users to be able to come back at a later time and add a feature that they initially did not choose without being forced to uninstall/reinstall.

I haven't been able to find information or discussion on this issue. I was weighing my alternatives, and was considering writing a utility to modify the MSI database to add the Modify. However, this would be a substantial undertaking with many pitfalls.

I was hoping someone has already faced this issue, and has a better answer than "go get InstallShield". What other alternatives are there??

Thanks!

John

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 14:59

Not sure what happened here, but you may have disabled the modify option in the Installshield Project. Should be somewhere in project properties. If you change this setting and release a small patch setup you may be able to transform the existing database on the system into one that allows the modify operation.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 15:00

Note that I don't have access to Installshield Developer right now so I cannot pinpoint the location of this "Remove modify flag"
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

John O

John O
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 20:35

Note that this is Microsoft's Visual Studio Install, and not InstallShield.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:31

You accidently set the ARPNOMODIFY property? Note: If you can't change properties in VS, there's alway Orca to correct its mistakes.

John O

John O
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 17:01

Good tip, but no, that's not it.

Maintenance mode is still enabled, it's just that the VSI mainenance interface does not permit a modify option. In other words, the maintenance options are only Repair or Remove. Repair will perform a full reinstall, but the UI is all bypassed (thus can't change options).

I have have hacked in a Modify radio button, but I'm having a hard time setting up the action to go back into the UI. Was just hoping someone may have already been there.