This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Two possible bugs in IS 9

2 replies to this topic

sasquatchan

sasquatchan
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 15:43

Howdy all,

my search-fu didn't find these in the archives/forum, and I don't know if they are a problem in more recent versions of IS. As the title shows, this is using devstudio 9.

SUPPORTDIR - When doing a normal install, and you use MsiGetProperty() to read the SUPPORTDIR property, the directory returned will have a back-slash (\) at the end. When running a silent install (from a single exe, so "setup.exe /s /v"/qn INSTALLDIR=c:\mysetup" for example), the SUPPORTDIR when queried in the exact same manner will not end in a back-slash. (Hey, it's minor, but took me more time than I'd like to admit to find, and was aggrivating)

eg Normal install will return
CODE
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.DAVEVM-W2000-1\Local Settings\Temp\{DA9F8915-5A8A-445F-BBB6-021E2E23F601}\

and a silent install will return
CODE
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.DAVEVM-W2000-1\Local Settings\Temp\{DA9F8915-5A8A-445F-BBB6-021E2E23F601}

Upgrade Table -- I have several entries in the upgrade table -- rather than query for a version, I use the upgrade table (and the properties it sets) to tell me what the existing version is for an upgrade (all my upgrades are major). While working on a new version, I copied the existing upgrade table entry. The resulting paste added zeros (0) where zeros did not need to be.

The original table entry:
CODE

{3CE72CEB-B05D-4AD1-832E-68B89A6416F5},5.1.0.0,5.1.999.0,,256,,VERSION5SUPPORTEDUPGRADE,MajorUpgrade5.0

The copied table entry:
CODE

{3CE72CEB-B05D-4AD1-832E-68B89A6416F5}0,5.1.0.00,5.1.999.00,0,2560,,VERSION5SUPPORTEDUPGRADE,MajorUpgrade5.0

Unless you re-size the columns, you won't see the zero on the upgrade GUID. I saw the zeros in the version min, version max, language and attributes and edited them out. I never thought to look at the upgrade code GUID. Boy, two frustrating days later I saw it. Why are those zeros appended/added when I copy the row ?

So I don't know if these two issues are known and use-as-is/as-designed, but they both caused me enough frustration that I thought I'd share them with ya'll here.

Edited by sasquatchan, 21 March 2006 - 21:17.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:05

SUPPORTDIR - where/how are you checking the value of SUPPORTDIR? The backslash will be added by the COstFinalize action.

Upgrade Table - although I don't see extract zeros in the GUID you posted, this sounds like a bug.

sasquatchan

sasquatchan
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 18:18

I'm checking the SUPPORTDIR in the same custom action, that is only called in the exec sequence, but is called before CostFinalize. That may be my error -- calling too early on.

Since CostFinalize() is only ever called once, during a normal install, it has already been called in the UI sequence, and during a silent install, since it hasn't been called yet, that would explain it.

I can see how the extra zero is easily missed, in the first post, the copied table has this GUID:
CODE
{3CE72CEB-B05D-4AD1-832E-68B89A6416F5}0
-- the zero is outside of the {GUID}, at the end. Very hard to spot!