This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Basic MSI Projects

15 replies to this topic

nsc

nsc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:42

Hello everyone!

I tried to build a project using Basic MSI Project, the problem i had is that
the exe/icon i specified to be displayed on the Add/Remove Program of the
control panel for the project i created will not display. Instead a folder icon is used.

Is there an issue regarding this matter on DevStudio 9?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 17:49

Did you install per-machine ("for all users") or per-user ("only for me")? In the latter case, I believe this is a known bug in Windows.

nsc

nsc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:00

Hello Mr. Krueger,

Thanks for your reply. I think i've installed it using "for all users" option.
This time i tried using InstallScript MSI Project, although the issue regarding
the icon displayed on the add/remove program in the control panel has been resolved unfortunately another problem arises. i can't seem to execute the .msi
file created after building the project. Is there something i've missed to apply?

I hope you could set aside once again a bit of your time to reply to my problem.
In the meantime, i'll try to verify whether i've used "for all users" on my installation on Basic MSI.

Thanks a lot!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:36

InstallScript MSI projects can aónly be launched using the setup.exe, not directly by using the .msi file. That's because they use an external UI process.
InstallScript MSI projects have a couple of problems and I would not recommend using them.

nsc

nsc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 13:08

I've tested Basic MSI Project using "for all users" option and it indeed solved the problem. Is it possible though to automatically set the option to "for all users" without having to display such dialogue window during project installation?

Thanks a lot for the info! More power!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 18:40

You can set ALLUSERS=1 in the Property table. But read about ALLUSERS first in the docs. there are some caveats, especially on Windows 95/98/Me

nsc

nsc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 08:59

Hello again!

Is it possible to set the project to always use an administrator account everytime the deployed project is being installed?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:17

You can force admin account using a launch condition (AdminUser)

nsc

nsc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:40

How do i achieve that?
How do i state the condition statement to force an admin account(AdminUser) to be used during installation?

Thanks in advance...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:23

Create a launch condition with the following condition:
AdminUser
and specify an appropriate error message for the case the user doesn't have admin rights.

nsc

nsc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:50

Sir,

Allow me to rephrase my question...is it possible to set the project to use an administrator account during installation eventhough the user profile currently installing the project does not have administrative rights?

What i want to do is to set the project to always use an administrator profile during installation regardless of whatever account the current user has. This is to make sure that the project installs the entirety of its components on the target computer.

Sorry for the inconcise question.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 14:06

Okay, now I understand. You cannot do this inside the MSI - a setup cannot grant itself Admin rights (that would be a huge security risk).
The person running the install could use RunAs to run the install in an admin context.
Or an administrator to assign the MSI package using a Group Policy Object in Active Directory.

nsc

nsc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 04:08

You mean to say that the project can be set so that a dialogue window appears during installation wherein the user can set an account having administrative privilege to be used by using the RunAs option? How do i implement such option?

If ever I'm going to assign the MSI package using a group policy object, would it then mean that the installation would run under admin context regardless of whether the person running the install has admin rights on that certain computer? Just for verification purposes only coz i haven't tried this one yet. Maybe I'll try this later on but for the meantime, I'd like to focus first on Devstudio 9.

Thank you so much sir. You have done me so much help already and I hope you continue to do so.

Best regards...More power!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 14:41

You would have to specify the admin password before you launch your setup. You can run the RunAs command that's part of Windows:

CODE
runas /user:Comaputername\Administrator "msiexec /i \"c:\pth\to\your.msi\""

Yes to your second question.

nsc

nsc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:52

Hello again sir!

I'd like to ask something from you again. I hope you won't mind.
before we were able to secure a copy of devstudio9, we were using installshield professional 2000. we've configured the release so that the first time the users would execute the setup.exe file, the user will be prompted whether the entire installed application would be removed and then responding yes would automatically delete the entire application and then clicking setup.exe again would install the new release of the application. this time, using devstudio9,first execution of the setup.exe file would update the application then another execution would give the user the option to remove it and then last execution would install the new release. all in all, it takes three executions to install a clean release.
my question would be...would it be possible to configure the release for devstudio9 in such a way that the first execution would remove completely the previously installed application and the second would install the fresh release?or better yet in one execution of the setup.exe, it would perform both activities - remove the previous installation and then reinstall the fresh release.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 14:46

You can turn off the update function under Media > Upgrades > Upgrade Windows Installer Setup > Small/Minor Upgrade Settings > Disable

A better solution would be a Major Upgrade (i.e. change the ProductCode) which will automatically uninstall the previous version and install the new version in one step.