This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing with elevated privileges

2 replies to this topic

jonathan2002

jonathan2002
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 15:50

I have an application that adds files and registry entries that need to be available to all users of a machine. There is no point in putting the registry entires in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key as they should be in LOCAL_MACHINE for it all to work. Therefore I need administrative privileges to install this software. To ensure this condition is obeyed, I have set the property ALLUSERS to 1, so the installation immediately halts if the condition is not detected at the outset.

Trouble is, when I run this on Windows 2000, the user gets the option to use Elevated Privileges by entering the administrator name and password. It would be handy if this could be supported, rather than having to log on again to 2000 as the administrator. Yet, even when the log on goes throguh successfully, the install still halts. It seems it doesn't possess, or can't proceed with, Elevated Privileges.

How can I get EP to work effectively? I have tried setting the "Privileged" property to "1", but that made no difference.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 19:32

ALLUSERS is a property you can set to enforce a per-machine install.
Privileged is a property you can read to find out whether the user either had admin rights or is allowed to install with elevated privileges.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 01:34

When you enter the administrator password the setup is not run with elevated rights, but with real admin rights I believe. There should be an error message in the system event log as to why this fails. I think the option to install as administrator will only show up if the setup name is setup.exe or install.exe.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul