This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

find oracle home for 10g

1 reply to this topic

hsong3

hsong3
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 17:52

hello

i just install oracle 10g client and try to find the oracle home path by using the registry entry, value of ORA_CRS_HOME.

\\SOFTWARE\\ORACLE\\ORA_CRS_HOME

however, ORA_CRS_HOME does not exist when i install only the client. i am thinking of using the VOBHOME2.0, which is client home path, but i am not sure true purpose of this value. does it always have '2.0' at the end? does it change when i install 9i and 8i client?

if i can not use this, how can i find oracle home path for the 10g?

thank you

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 21:08

Once I did this, and found out that detection is very hard. The registry keys change over version and even subversion (of 8i client, I believe) and sometimes point to a subfolder.
I spent two days looking for a list of all released clients, and found nothing. It was a nightmare for quality control too...

In the end I found out that the software only accessed Oracle through ADO, so I changed the check, looking for the ProgID of the Oracle OleDB provider. This check really worked, because the installation of the OleDB provider is *optional* in the Oracle client setup.
However, this check does not tell you where ORACLEHOME is located...