This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Removing resources without Major Upgrade

2 replies to this topic

RedCat

RedCat
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 15:31

Hi all!

What should I do if I don't need to redistribute a file any more? Say I had a file MyDll.dll that came in a component MyDll and this file is no longer needed? As I understand from MSI docs this requires a Major Upgrade as I'm removing a component from an existing feature. The obvious disadvantage of this is the need to uninstall and reinstall ALL the files just to remove ONE. Is there a way to just unregister a component (MyDll) in a local MSI database, remove its resources (MyDll.dll) and skip the lengthy Major Upgrade operation?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 16:17

A Major Upgrade will not always perfom a complete uninstall of the previous version. This depends on the sequencing of the RemoveExistingProducts action - see MSI Help for details.
Alternatively you can leave the component (and the file - or a same named dummy) in the setup but with a condition of 0. (This would remove the file only if the component had the transitive flag set in the original version)

RedCat

RedCat
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:48

Thanks, Stefan! I'll try the variants that you suggested.

The main idea was to supply our users with a quick patch program, that removes one file and installs another in its place. I wanted to make is as light-weight as possible (ideally this patch should only contain the new file and do only the removal of the old file and copy of the new one). The task sounds so simple that I find it really hard to convince my boss that it's hard to solve it using Msi ;)