This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to install Features based on Install Level ?

4 replies to this topic

reddy611

reddy611
  • Full Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 14:25

Hi ,

I am using Install Shield 10.50 Professional Admin Studio[Basic MSI Project]. In my project i have the following features.
1. Server (included a file : server.txt)- Install Level value - 100
2. Client ( included a file : client.txt) - Install Level value - 200

In Property Manager by default Install Level is 100. I think a feature is installed only if the value in the Install Level field of the Feature is less than or equal to the current INSTALLLEVEL value(Am I Right ?). So When i install my application it should install only server feature right , but both of the features are getting installed.

So how to install features based on the Install Level value of the Feature ?

Else is there any other way to install this server feature only. Please let me know if your not clear with my question .

Please can anyone answer this question.

Thanks in advance,
Reddy611.

Edited by reddy611, 31 May 2006 - 14:27.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 19:32

Yes this should work as you expect, assuming that INSTALLLEVEL is spelled correctly in your property table (must be upper case). Generate a verbose log to see what's going on.

reddy611

reddy611
  • Full Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:33

Thank you very much Stefan Krueger.

In one way it's working. My doubht was

My project has 3 features.

(Feature 1) Client ---------------- 101 (Install level)
(Feature 2) Server--------------- 102 (Install level)
(Feature 3) Client_Server------- 103 (Install level)

Value of install level is higher than the current value(by default it is 100 in Property Manager ) , then these features normally doesn't install into the target directory. So i am passing the arguments to the .msi file like this

C:\WINDOWS\system32>msiexec /i "D:\DIRECTX.msi" INSTALLLEVEL="101" .

After installation , i am able to see client feature was installed, remaining server and client_server features not installed. So it's behaving correctly.

But if i want to install server feature only, So i am passing the arguments like this

C:\WINDOWS\system32>msiexec /i "D:\DIRECTX.msi" INSTALLLEVEL="102"

Now this time it should install only server feature right , but it installing client and server feature also. If i pass INSTALLLEVEL="103" three of them are installing.

But if i want to install specific feature only, Please can you tell me how to overcome this problem ? Please let me know if your not clear with my question.

Thanks in Advance,
Reddy611.

Edited by reddy611, 01 June 2006 - 12:38.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 23:30

This is expected behaviour because all features with levels less than or equal to INSTALLLEVEL will be installed. Tp achive what you want to can either un-select the unwanted feature using the control event Remove from the Next button of a dialog, or you can specify the desired features on the command line:
msiexec.exe your.msi ADDLOCAL=Server

reddy611

reddy611
  • Full Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:52

I solved this issue .

Thank you Stefan Krueger.