This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Basic Upgrade Question(s)

3 replies to this topic

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 20:58

I am working on an installation program that is pretty stable.  It is quite a large product with many features that have many executables, dll's, etc.  Currently, whenever the exe's, dll's or other files change, I rebuild the installation but I don't change any product codes or versions.  As a result, whenever we install by double clicking setup.exe, we get the "Remove" option only.  So we have to uninstall the existing product, then the next time setup.exe works as expected.  My question (finally) is this:

How do I make my installation work as an upgrade if the product is already installed and still work as a new installation if it is not.

I am using ISWI 2.01 targeting Windows 2000 machines.

I would also like to know how Product Code, Package Code and Version come into play.

Thank you,
Joe

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 23:48

I tend to favour major upgrades, other prefer the lesser types.

Change the package code every build.  This intended to distinguish one msi file from another.  No two packages should ever have the same package code.

When you make new version
Increase the ProductVersion
Change the ProductName so the user can see what he has got.
Generate a new ProductCode because it is a different version.
Enter or revise your entry in the UpgradeTable (In Power Editor) to reflect the new version.
Note the UpgradeCode should never change between versions (Unless you want a complicated UpgradeTable).

jsp

jsp
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 December 2001 - 11:18

Ian,
I am OK with your description, but if in your previous package, you have a 'ScheduleReboot' action at the end of your installation, when lunching your major upgrade, the installler will Shutdown after 'RemoveExistingProdut' action -> the actions after this action will cause an error 1603 (if I well remember).
My only workaround has been to not execute 'RemoveExistingProdut'  during upgrade (condition OLDPRODUCTS<>"")and to do myself what is done by this action ( ->lot of work).
To my mind, if only have to do a binary update, the 'small update' works fine. I only use 'major upgrade'  when many features and components have changed (new ones or some deleted) or when my ProductName must change.
Regards,
JSP

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 December 2001 - 11:27

I have never come across your issues.  My installations may schedule reboots (I can not always avoid them) but I do not get this error.  

I agree that all the upgrade types have their place.