This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patching Requires Original Installation Source

4 replies to this topic

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 16:32

Patching Requires Original Installation Source
Description:
While applying a patch (.msp file) you will be prompted to insert the original installation CD. This should not be required since the original msi file is cached on the local hard drive.
Workarounds:
None.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in Windows Installer 1.1. See Microsoft knowledge base article Q268800. This problem should be fixed in version 2.0 but this is not the case!!!

Is there any solution? I use QuickPatch in InstallShield developper 8 service pack 2

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 00:13

I am not sure if this applies to patches, but have a look at my post to "Harel" in the RunTime errors section (above).

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 09:21

No but thank you relpying

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 14:19

This has been improved in MSI 2.0 and may be further improved in 3.0.
In many cases the need for the original CD is caused by a problem in the way you authored your setup or update. Does it happen if you run your update from hard disk?

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 12:55

Yes it happens if I run update from hard disk, from cd, from my network, from internet and from floppy, from dvd....

If this is not a bug from microsoft then what is it??? I'm not the only one face to this problem on this forum!

You said that in many cases the problem is the way we authored the setup or upgrade.
The upgrade is made by QuickPatch : it let all by default and just added some files! what could be wrong when you let all value by default???? If the error was the orginal setup then say me what...

I think the error is windows installer bug