This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Vista installation

4 replies to this topic

devstudio.2007

devstudio.2007
  • Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:29

Dear All,

Iam using Devstudio 9.0 version,Installscript MSI Project.while testing setup created in Devstudio,application requires "run as administrator" in vista so how to overcome this or how to automate this.

regards
Narain

N Thomas

N Thomas
  • Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:28

Hi,

This is due to UAC, a Windows Vista feature that is meant to improve the

security of your system. If you are trying to install as a standard

user, Windows Vista will ask for the administrator password.

To disable the UAC, enter the Control Panel and type UAC in the search box.It will give the option "User Accounts – Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off".

Please note that it is not a good practise to disable UAC as it might affect the system's security.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 15:43

In MSI it is possible toi set a flag that tells Windows that this setup doesn't require administrator permissons so it will not propmpt but run the setup with restricted permissions. Of course you should set this only if your setup can work this way (most setups can't).

However I'm not sure if this is supported for the "InstallScript MSI" project type, it might only work for "Basci MSI".

And I know for sure that this setting doesn't exist in DevStudio 9. Support for Windows Vista (and UAC) was added in InstallSield 2008 (version 14.0) if I recall correctly.

devstudio.2007

devstudio.2007
  • Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:04

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2008-12-18 15:43)
In MSI it is possible toi set a flag that tells Windows that this setup doesn't require administrator permissons so it will not propmpt but run the setup with restricted permissions. Of course you should set this only if your setup can work this way (most setups can't).

However I'm not sure if this is supported for the "InstallScript MSI" project type, it might only work for "Basci MSI".

And I know for sure that this setting doesn't exist in DevStudio 9. Support for Windows Vista (and UAC) was added in InstallSield 2008 (version 14.0) if I recall correctly.

Dear All,

Thanks for Your Response, how to Disable this UAC For Particular Program
Automatically without Manual intervention. for eg using Batch or registry etc.

regards
Narain

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:26

You can't disable UAC for a particular program (and if you could, that would require admin privileges, so you're back to square one).

If your setup doesn't work with UC it may also fail in certain other scenarios. So you'd better fix your install instead of trying to find a way to sneak around UAC.