This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Setup.INI

4 replies to this topic

CCRMZ

CCRMZ
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 18:48

sad.gif This is driving me crazy.
I guess I must have mis-interpeted something.

Using MSI 2.0.
Using Setup.Exe from 23 Feb 2002 (German version of VS NET Installed)

Trying to run a small Update and using the Setup.INI

When i run the Update from Start-Run using:
CODE

msiexec /i "H:\Install\VBNet\MyInstall\Release\MyInstall.msi" REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

or
CODE

Setup.Exe REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

It performs the Update as a Repair.
This is what I want.
I can use the /passive parameter to just show the Progress/Status.

However, when I start the Update using the Setup.Exe (just a double click on the Setup.Exe) and use a Setup.INI with the following:
CODE

[MSILoader]
MSIFileName=MyInstall.msi
[Startup]
CmdLine=REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

it refuses to recognize the
CmdLine=REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL
parameter, and the message comes up stating that the package is already installed.

What is wrong with my Setup.Ini?

Edit:
and the message comes up stating that the package is already installed

I meant the message comes up that another version of this product is already installed

Edited by CCRMZ, 08 December 2005 - 19:44.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 21:35

I don't know how that setup.exe launcher is working. Maybe it doesn't like the multiple = signs?

CCRMZ

CCRMZ
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 00:11

Thank you for responding.

I'm using VS Net to create the Installer package, and after building it, the Setup.exe and Ini are placed in the "Release" folder along with the MSI file.

I thought that the [Setup] section, in the Ini, was standard, but maybe not?

So, I guess I will need to create a new Setup.exe to understand the parameters?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:46

I believe the setup.exe from Microsoft Visual Studio is different from the setup.exe that InstallShield uses, etc. I'm only familiar with the latter.

CCRMZ

CCRMZ
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:07

I don't know how that setup.exe launcher is working. Maybe it doesn't like the multiple = signs?

After your first post and my reply a light went on for me!

It looks like the Setup.exe create by the Visual Studio Installer does not recognise any INI sections other than [MSILoader], and no Keys/arguments other than MSIFileName= (I also opened the Setup.exe and only found this one section and key)

So, I'll created a new Setup.Exe wrapper using VB, which will check if installer is loaded, and based on the OS version, load it using the InstMsiW(A) if needed, and which will take command line parameters and checks the same-named INI file for the [MSILoader] section and the MSIFileName key. And have it also check for my new [OPTIONS] and [REINSTALL] sections and possible keys. And I can add more sections and parameters if needed.
Then have it call msiexec via the ShellExecute API, passing the given CL and INI parameters.

Thank you! I would still be in the dark if you hadn't replied!