This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Simple Screensaver Install

2 replies to this topic

perverse

perverse
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:45

i work for a company in australia that creates complimentary screensavers for its clients - this is all well and good except now it is decided that we want installshield installations for the screensavers - and now i have been given the task of creating them. i'd just like some help on where to start / what to do in this situation - i just want an install/uninstall system for a .scr file.. no more.. no less. anyones help would be much appreciated. this is the first time i've had to use installshield and suffice to say.. i'm finding the learning curve a little steep at the moment smile.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 14:18

Are you sure you want to build a Windows Installer .msi setup for this purpose? You may get a setup with less overhead without MSI (I'll give more information if that's an option for you).
What is required to install your screen saver? Copying the .scr file (to which directory?) and setting some registry entries?

perverse

perverse
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 00:44

lol yeah its a pretty stupid situation -
i fixed the problem so thanks for the feedback.. the reason i didnt use something with less overhead is - there's no software in the company to develop something with less overhead. i wanted to use something simple like a winzip self extractor - but i needed it to extract into the sys directory no matter where its located - this was much easier to achieve with installshield. alternatively i wanted to use the vb install script i wrote - bundle them both in a self extractor - and have the temp files deleted after installation.. however the company is so cheap it doesnt own a full copy of self extractor or winzip.

thank for the help - problem solved smile.gif