This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installer continuously try to install

3 replies to this topic

vnadoda

vnadoda
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 18:54

Hi,
If some files of product changed or modified or removed from machine, windows installer try to repair or install that file again and agian.
How we can stop this?

Thanks..
-vPuL

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 23:31

Windows Installer provides this useful facility to prevent accidental damage to the setup of your software.  Unlike other installation systems Windows Installer continues to manage your setup.  If you need to remove files ask msi to do it for you.   In this way Windows Installer has a correct image of your installation and will not try to repair it.

If your problem is occuring on a development machine then you can totally disable Windows Installer with a registry policy.  This will allow the developer to make arbitrary file alterations without interference.
Ian Blake
(Currently Unemployed)

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 22:48

Hi Ian Blake,

I would like to disable Windows Installer on my development machine. Could you please explain how to achieve this with a registry policy?

Thanks.
-rb

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 18:18

from the platform SDK...
DisableMSI
If the value of this per-machine system policy is set to "2" the installer is always disabled for all applications.

If this policy value is set to "0", any other number, or is absent, the installer is always enabled.

If this policy value is set to "1", the installer is disabled for non-managed applications but is still enabled for managed applications. This setting does allow an application to be advertised to all users of a machine, but does not allow an application to be advertised to the current user.

Registry Key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

Data Type
REG_DWORD

this will disable the MSI Service from running...  i believe that what you want to accomplish is to disable the auto-repair feature...  to accomplish this you would have to 'neuter' the MSI Registry Database.  one method is to remove the entries for the offending products.  another method is to remove the keypaths for the offending components...

sorry but to my knowledge ms has not yet provided a policy to diable the auto-repair feature...