This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Adding new files to an update or patch

2 replies to this topic

Minch

Minch
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 07:23

Hi,

We are tryng to generate a new installation msi, and then a new patch for our application. The problem is that we have to add some new files to it. I have read though your update rules and have come across a problem and it concerns the following section:

"If you want to add a component, you must put it in a new feature. This can be an invisible sub feature of an existing feature. To synchronize the installation state of a new child feature with its parent feature, set its Remote Installation property to "Favor Parent" and its Required property to yes. Or set the ADDLOCAL property to the name of the new feature. Note that you cannot combine this with REINSTALL=ALL. Instead use REINSTALL=ExistingFeature1,ExistingFeature2 ADDLOCAL=NewFeature."

We have added a new file in the above way, by adding a new feature which is a subfeature of an already existing feature. We have marked the file to "msidbFeatureAttributesFollowParent" and for "msidbFeatureAttributesUIDisallowAbsent" as you recommend but when we do the command line "msiexec.exe /I new.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus" it succesfully patches all of the files already existing but doesn't install the new files. Why not???

The quote above from your tips says that new files will be installed, why aren't they?

The only way it will install the new files is if we use the ADDLOCAL property, but ve don't want to use the command line with the ADDLOCAL property because this will mean that the feature is installed all the time and we only want it to be installed if it's parent was already installed. Is it possible to do this?

We are using Orca to edit the msi database.

Thanks,

Adam

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 13:27

These limitations in MSI patching are a real pain, but MSI 2.0 will improve many things. Until then please use the combination of ADDLOCAL and REINSTALL. Instead of putting these on the command line you can set them inside your setup, e.g. from a control event (IPWI comes with a PatchWelcome dialog that does just that). You should be able to use an AddLocal control event with a condition based on the install state of the other feature.

rflum

rflum
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 14:02

What ARE the limitations in MSI patching?  What do we need to look out for?  I mean aside from the update rules, and the ADDLOCAL and REINSTALL settings?
I am trying to do what should be a very simple patch.  I have an entirely new top-level feature with all new components that I want to upgrade with, and I can't get the patch to add these files!
Has anyone got a list of things to avoid or to make sure you do when you're either setting up a project you know you'll be patching, or creating a patch?