This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ODBC DataSource Name

2 replies to this topic

comecme

comecme
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 13:11

I'm trying to create a ODBC DataSource thas is named to the value of a property. In the ODBCDataSource table, I've typed [PROPERTYNAME] in the Description column. During installation this results in an error 1919.
The Windows Installer reference doesn't mention wheter this column can contain properties or not.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?
Dick Nagtegaal

SourceList

SourceList
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:22

Is the DSN you're trying to create already registered on the system? Is it installed to system32? I don't think it's the resolution of the property that's actually causing the problem.

Typically a "feature" of failed ODBC registrations is the fact that if Driver is not installed when you creating your DSN, you won't be able to register this information.

This makes sense because the tables are looking for the driver you need and will look up the registry to find out where this is. I have seen 1919's coming from this scenario with Sybase DSN's for example. (There's a bug in Wise that reflects this on LFN systems)

Consider mixing Registry and ODBC table data to get it to work.
James
~~~~~
dotMSI.com

comecme

comecme
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 16:40

If I change the [PROPERTYNAME] to a normal name the same MSI installs fine. As for your suggestion to mix Registry and ODBC table data: that would be a problem. The location in the registry where the ODBC settings for [PROPERTYNAME] reside are determined by the value of [PROPERTYNAME]. The only option would be to completely use the registrytable.
Dick Nagtegaal