This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

File deleted when advertised shortcut is used

4 replies to this topic

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 17:01

Hello,

I am having a problem with one of my MSI's. This particular MSI has been rolled out on several hundred of Dutch system. For some unknown reason I am having problems on an English WindowsXP.

I have installed my MSI without any problem. As soon as I start my application with an advertised shortcut (so it will check key file availability) it will start normally the first time. But while starting a file is deleted from the system. When I start the app a second time or use functionality from that file the installer kicks in saying it misses the file.

If I reinstall same problem still exists. Every time I start with the advertised shortcut my dll is being deleted.

I don't know where to check. Any ideas?

Thanks, Raoul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 17:51

Enabling MSI logging using the registry key described at http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm should help diagnose the problem. In addition you should look in the event log.

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:40

Stefan,

I am fully aware of all logging during installation and I tried your registry option, but that is not when it fails.

These are the steps that I do:

1. Install MSI - all looks normal and all files are there
2. Start my app - looks normal, but it already deleted one of my key files!!
3. Close my app
4. Restart my app - causes msi to start en repair my installation because it is missing a key file. The event log perfectly tells me what file is missing.
5. The installer installed my missing file, but that is deleted seconds later....

Question is why does it delete my dll?

Raoul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:47

If there is no information in any msi log about deleting that file, I believe it's not Windows Instalelr that's deleting it. Maybe a virus scanner? What's the name of this file, and where is it located? Is it gone before you click Finish on your setup, or afterwards but before you launch your application, or does it disappear at the moment your start your app? Does the same happen if you double click the exe instead of using the shortcut?
Try the tools listed at http://www.installsi.../tt_analyze.htm to find out what's going on. FileMon would be a good start I think.

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 22:29

The file is called pegres32.dll and is located in c:\program files\hoogendoorn\shared. It is a library from pro essentials. The file dissappears only if I use the advertised shortcut. If I click the exe nothing abnormal happens.

If I do a repair install the file is being installed by MSI. If I run the shortcut the file dissappears. If I click the exe nothing abnormal happens.

I will tyr filemon tommorrow.

Thanks, Raoul