This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Data.cab tools

3 replies to this topic

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 15:53

Hi,
Does anybody know about any Data.cab tools, like ISCab.exe for InstallShield5.5, to replace, add, remove files from the Data.cab file.
Thanks for any help,
Irina Shirinsky
Software Engineer, Heroix Corporation
http://www.heroix.com

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 08:21

You can use Winzip, to extract the files out of the cab but I do not know of a way to add/remove files from a cab.
When I have tried this my install always fails because I think that the MSI keeps track of the information in the data.cab and if this changes the MSI doesnt like it that much.

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 09:02

I'm using makecab.exe from MS; but don't ask me where it came from. I think it's part of platform sdk. It's a command line tool and can be integrated in automatic builds.

But I think you're looking for a tool allowing the replacement/adding etc. of files with a gui.

ATTENTION:
I don't believe it's possible to simply exchange files in a cab used by msi, because the file table contains file sizes and dates to check the files; for newer msi-versions there's even a hash based checking possible. Another problem might be that msi wants the files in a cab to be in exactly the same order as numbered (column Sequence in file table).
h.teichert-ott

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 15:56

Thank you guys for your help. I know it is possible to extract files form the Data.cab file, but I don't know how zip they again in the .cab file. I'll try to look for anything on the Windows site.
Irina Shirinsky
Software Engineer, Heroix Corporation
http://www.heroix.com