This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

launching an exe from the script - the exe hangs

3 replies to this topic

omriz

omriz
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 17:27

hi
in two seperate cases when i used LaunchApp or LaunchAppAndWait, the exe which i run hangs, it's process is available on the task monitor but nothing happens.
when i run the exe manually or from start-->run or cmd, it works perfectly.
i tried changing the working directory before launching, i tried using LaunchAppAndWaitInitStartupInfo ( ), but nothing seems to help.
i worked around this by running a batch file which runs the exe, but this is not a perfect solution (i monitor the returned message for logging purposes).
any ideas will be appriciated.
thnx

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 10:56

Maybe the launched exe uses SendMessage to broadcast a message to all running applications? If it's waiting for a reply this would lead to a deadlock (as far as I know InstallShield doesn't respond to such messages while waiting for the launched application)

omriz

omriz
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 10:18

hi stefan
the exes i launch are DirectX 9.0b setup and VoiceTest of windows. as far as i know they are not waiting for any reply.
further more: i launch them both successfuly in some other scripts, but i sometimes can't make them work.
thanx for ur reply

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 20:57

Don't know if this will help, but it could be a problem with the IS engine trying to be reinitated. You could try to use DoInstall instead of LaunchAppAndWait.

Good luck
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)