This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Start Menu Location

2 replies to this topic

finding_this_difficult

finding_this_difficult
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 16:52

I have an MSI and I want the Start Menu folder installed to a different location. I will be executing the MSI as a silent install (I did not create this MSI). Is it possible or are there default msiexec parameters to set in order to do this?

Thanks,
A

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 21:53

It depends. Either way you need Orca to open the MSI database. Look for the Shortcut table. Its records show all shortcuts that can be created by this install (whether they are actually created depends on feature selection, conditions etc.)
Look for the column named "Directory_". You may see different values, in which case multiple start menu folders are used. Find the value you are interested in. If this entry is spelled in ALL CAPS, you're lucky: you can probably override it on the command-line. Suppose it is named START_MENU, the command-line
Msiexec /i "YourApp.msi" START_MENU="C:\Documents and Settings\Adminstrator\Start Menu\My Application"
should help you out.

If the entry contains lower case characters, you've got to edit the Directory table and save the MSI afterwards.

finding_this_difficult

finding_this_difficult
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:44

Yeah, thanks, I opened it in Installshield and found it was lowercase. I am not sure yet what I am going to do to get around this, but I appreciate your help.

A