This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

COM+ MSI Package

3 replies to this topic

smayo59

smayo59
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 03:50

Hello:

In a standard project with developer 7 .. I am giving the user an option to set up some COM+ files that is packaged in a seperate *.msi file.

I used the Custom Action Wizard to "launch another .msi package" and then executing a Sequence/Action. This works if I want to install COM+.msi everytime, but this is not the case.

I have a feature named COM+ and if a user selects this .. then install .. if not selected .. skip. How and can I use deferred execution? Or something along these lines? Not to execute unless this feature is checked

I tried writing a custom fuction ...

export prototype COM_Installing();
   COM_Installing()
       begin
       end;

... and using LaunchAppAndWait() .. but I get an install instance already running. Even went as far as creating a batch file that calls msiexec.exe with commands to run the com.msi.

I've tried around 5 different ways now .. and caving in to ask .. I assume this is easy and I am missing something.

Thanx for anyones help, -Mayo
scott_mayo99@yahoo.com

moverton

moverton
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 17:35

I too have had issues installing COM+ packages as another MSI.  I created 2 vbScript custom Actions (one to add, one to remove) the package and components, using the MTSAdmin.Catalog object.

You can conditionally  run the install by using the condition (Not Installed And &MyFeature>2), and the uninstall with the condition (Installed And &MyFeature=2).

Martin

smayo59

smayo59
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 01:48

Thanx for your posting .. I'm looking into your idea right now ..

1. Can you add more that one COM?
ie. objUtility.InstallComponent "C:\<PATH>*.dll", "", ""

2. Do they have to be self reg. COMs? Mine are not and I don't see any docs on this.

Thanx again

moverton

moverton
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 10:37

As far as I'm aware you have to do them individually.  This causes a problem because you cannot create a String enumeration and loop.

The way I solved this is to read from and External xml file for which we have a generic resource handling component.

As for the self reg question, I don't know.  If you register the component first (as part of the install it will probably be OK).  The only problems I have found are with C++ components compiled in debug - Then I just resume next on all errors and everything is sweet!

Martin