This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

automatically uninstall a previous version

4 replies to this topic

sadhanap

sadhanap
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:48

automatically uninstall a previous version of a application during installing the latest version of the same application
I am working on Pure Install script using INstallShield 2008

If product is already installed in PC(Say 1.0) and when user wants to upgrade to version 2.0.The installation should be like automatically remove the older version first then install newer version.

Currently we are doing this,first the user runs the setup which will first uninstall older version then again user runs the same setup which will install newer version.we should do the uninstall and install in one click of setup.

I found that upgrade is supported in Basic MSI projects or Installscript MSI projects but how it can be achieved in pure Install script projects.

Also There is no need of update it should be uninstall older and install newer one in one click of setup

Any Suggestions.

Edited by sadhanap, 26 May 2008 - 14:24.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 16:38

You could read the uninstall command from registry and launch it in your script.

sadhanap

sadhanap
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 18:18

Thanks Stefan,

But when I used Uninstall String in LaunchAppandWait which is placed in Onbegin function there is dialog box comes which says another instance is running.It doesnt proceeds further

For me If setup is already installed and when we run it again it will go to maintenance mode where there is only remove option.

I need to implement the uninstall which needs to remove previous installation and then continue with newer installation.

Any suggestions will help

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:40

Did you change the Product GUID?

sadhanap

sadhanap
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:49

No ,the product GUID is same for both previous and newer version.

I need to do the following
If previous version is installed

-First I have to show uninstall windows[where User input is needed for saving some files] then after that i have to show the install window of newer version with single click of setup.

Whether FeatureReinstall will help? IS any thing can be done in OnShowUI or OnMoveData