This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

upgrade fails if user is not the original user

2 replies to this topic

vishalv

vishalv
  • Full Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:18

Hi,

I have a problem where the modify/Repair or an upgrade fails if the modify/repair is not done by the user who has originally installed the software.

I always get the prompt for asking to select the source CD even though the user who is trying to upgrade is an administrator. Unless I use the user account who originally installed the software I am not able to proceed.

Is this an intended functionality or is it a bug?

I am using INstallscript based Msi project and it is on Installshield 10.5 version.

Any help or pointers in this will be really helpful.

Thanks,
Vishal

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:03

Repair always requires access to the source media. Maybe it was copied to the local hard disk in a folder that the administrator can't access (the user's profile) or only under a different path or name, or you installed from a mapped network drive letter which is not mapped for the administrator.

vishalv

vishalv
  • Full Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:23

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for the reply.
When we encountered this problem we mapped to the network drive which was used by the original user account to install the software.

Also the user was an administrator and the folder where the msi is cached for later use should be available to the user as it was a per machine installation.

Could we ask the end user to make sure that he upgrades the software using the user account which was used to install the software?

Thanks once again,
Vishal