This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall visible only to user who installed?

3 replies to this topic

discomonger

discomonger
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 00:08

Howdy,

I want to have the Add/Remove programs entry for my app only visible to the user who installed the app in the first place.  Is this possible?  If so, how is it accomplished?

Thanks for any info!
-disco

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 02:14

Well you could have your setup record the install user's login name and then modify the default uninstall to enforce it.  That would certainly be one way.

Another possibility though is have your setup write its uninstall entry to HKCU instead of HKLM.  I've only noticed this done once before.  As the install user, I was able to see it in Add/Remove Programs, but I'll admit I didn't try other accounts.
user posted image

vtoledo

vtoledo
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 18:29

There are several options that you may want to consider:
- On an NT-based machine, you can use an external utlity like SETACL to overwite the ACL settings to the PROGRAMFILES\\InstallShieldShield Installation Information\\PROD_GUID folder and the HKLM\\Software\\...\\Uninstall\\PROD_GUID key with full control to the user's local/domain ID at the end of the installation.  This would make it only visible, in the ARP Control Panel applet, to the user who installed it.  However, this may pose problems on a shared machine where multiple users may want to install the same application.

- After the uninstall registry keys are created, you can "move" them to the HKCU\\...\\Uninstall\\PROD_GUID registry key.  Again, since the cached log file is still in a shared location, what gets logged for uninstallation may not be what you want if multiple users install the same application on the target computer.

- I have not tried this, but you may try to move the shared PROGRAMFILES\\InstallShield\\InstallShield Installation Information\\PROD_GUID to a user profile-specific location, as well as doing what's described in the second option above.  Then modify the UninstallString to correspond with the new path to the cached setup.exe.

There are other issues surrounding user privileges and such, but that's another topic altogether.

Good luck.

discomonger

discomonger
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 02:31

Just an FYI, they seem to have added this functionality in IS Pro 7 - the ALLUSERS var.  Haven't tried it yet but I think it will do the trick.