This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrading a package that contains MSDE

2 replies to this topic

mapitman

mapitman
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 22:26

I have a 1.0 version of a setup that was built with installshield developer 8. It includes the MSDE merge modules. I now need to author an install for version 1.1 of our app, and I would like it to be able to handle a new install or upgrading over the 1.0 version. The problem seems to lie in the MSDE portion of the install. When the install is running, it gets almost to the end and then pops up the error:

Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and setup error logs for more information.

I had turned on logging, so I can see the action that failed, it is:

Executing "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Tools\Binn\cnfgsvr.exe -V 1 -M 1 -U sa -I "MYINSTANCE" -Q "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS""

When my pre-existing instance of MSDE had a blank sa password, it worked fine. I was testing against one with a password when I encountered this failure.

I have removed the DetectInstanceClash action from the merge modules, otherwise the install was failing a lot sooner. Is there a way to detect the instance clash and then just skip the MSDE install? That is really what I want to do, since it is an upgrade of my app and not an upgrade of MSDE.

Mark

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 06:59

QUOTE (mapitman @ 2003-04-30 23:26)
That is really what I want to do, since it is an upgrade of my app and not an upgrade of MSDE.

Actually you may want to update MDSE as well, in case your users don't have SP3 installed already.

mapitman

mapitman
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 16:14

Version 1.0 of our app shipped with MSDE 2000 SP3.