This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

companion files

2 replies to this topic

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 07:20

Currently I am looking at ways to overwrite/retain files installed by my project that are not .exe (thus no version information).
I have started to look into companion files, which would be linked to my executables that contain version, which in turn would provide my .txt files with a sort of virtual version.

Has anyone had any problems, or discovered any useful information on using these companion files?

Any information would be greatly appreciated  :D  :D

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 09:27

Sorry, I can't give you info about companion files, but there's is another way for better support for non-versioned files. You have to use (populate) the MsiFileHash table with info for your non-versioned files. With this info, the windows installer service is able to do a checking if an already installed file is the same as this file from another (for example newer) package.
To use this feature, it's necessary to use Windows installer V2.0 on the destination machines (OK, 1.5 would be enough, but it's was only Beta).
h.teichert-ott

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 02:20

Ok thanks, I will have a look into that option  :D  :D  :D