This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to prevent upgrades or patches?

1 reply to this topic

Z4ck

Z4ck
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 19:34

I have a software package that I am distributing online via msi. ATM, clients who pay regular subscriptions have the right to log in to thier account on our site and get patches. No problem.

However I want to (attempt to) ensure that clients who fail to do so cannot (easily) get an update by simply un-installing thier current version and installing the latest full version.

How would you impliment this? Summary:

1) Freely available downloadable installer for program on web - always has the latest version. On a "fresh" machine - always want this to work OK - no problem.

2) Patches (msp) delivered to paying clients via secure area on site - no problem.

3) Want to prevent un-install / re-install of base package for non-paying clients to get updated versions of software. How?

Thanx.
Z4.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 14:41

So you want existing users to be unable to uninstall the old version, then download and install the new version, which is freely available on the web? Your uninstall could leave behind some file or registry entry, but that's not save. Or you could have your new version require a different serial number, so you can control who gets the new serial. Maybe you want some sort of licensing/activation system.