This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major upgrade fails

2 replies to this topic

lilache

lilache
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 16:14

I have a problem with major upgrade I created.
for some reason I don't understand, I keep geeting the following error in the log: "A newer version of this application is already installed on this computer...."

The executable verison installed on the computer is 5.8.6.4313 and the version I'm trying to install is 6.0.0.1000. Also when I created the major upgrade I changed the package code, product code and version.

Does anyone has an idea what could be the problem?

bomberjester

bomberjester
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 20:33

there are a few places that are involved when checking to see if a newer version of an installation is already installed.

between every upgrade that you build the following must be true
1) new/modified files that you want distribute must have higher versions than their predecessors
2) the installshield build must have an incremented version number
3) the installshield build must have a new product code (to indicate a different version than the previous)

those are the rules that we live by when upgrading and they work for us.

one other thing to remember is that MSI versioning only compares the first 3 number sections of the version. i.e. 6.0.0 and 6.0.0.1 are the same according to the MSI.

the only other thing that I can think of is to make sure that when you're done building your install kit that it's actually the one you're running when attempting to upgrade. We've had our build techs accidentally forget to distribute new install kits before attempting to upgrade systems and they run into the same error.

lilache

lilache
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:39

Thanks for the replay, however the problem was a combination of small over looked issues, such as the custom action of "ISPREVENTDOWNGRADE" had the wrong condition and didn't take under consideration a major upgrade.
At the end everythin works minor and major upgrade.

Thanks again rolleyes.gif