This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Wrap .msi package in setup.exe

3 replies to this topic

rakeshcs123

rakeshcs123
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 16:07

Hi Everybody,
I have created a .msi project and now i have to wrap it in setup.exe so that i can perform minor upgrades. can anybody tell me how to configure release wizard of installshield to create a setup.exe such that setup.exe takes .msi package to do install/upgrade.
Note:- my requirement is setup.exe should not embed .msi package in itself rather two files should be sepearte so that if someone want to use just .msi package they can use it and if they want to do upgrade they can use setup.exe.

Thanks for your help in advance.

~Rakesh

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 19:32

Create a CD media (not network), select "create setup.exe" and - if desired - also "compress all files".

rakeshcs123

rakeshcs123
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:24

Thanks for the Reply.
But Even this method create a Data.cab file apart from the .msi pand setup.exe file.
My requirement is to have this .cab file inside the .msi file so that i have only a setup.exe and .msi package. This will enable the minor upgrade from setup.exe and .msi can be used as normal instalaltion also.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 19:37

I don't think that's possible with InstallShield. Maybe you can use some third party setup.exe (like VSSetup) for the purpose of minor updates, see "Launchers and Runtime Installers" at http://www.installsi...en/msi/tips.htm