This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

NTFS granting to Local groups within MSI

1 reply to this topic

CouverKyle

CouverKyle
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 18:12

Hi,

I use Macrovision's Adminstudio InstallShield to create packages that we push via AD GPO (no SMS here). By default our wkstn's grant only Read&Execute to newly created folders in root C (done via GPO). Within an MSI I want to create a new root folder and grant %COMPUTERNAME%\Users "modify". In the "Permissions" window of a newly created folder in IS Editor what do I put in the "Domain" field to specify the local computer name? (I tried %COMPUTERNAME% but no luck). Or can I even?

Granting "modify" to mydomain\Domain Users would be an acceptable solution, but when I do this it doesn't work, specifically, it recognizes the AD group and puts it in the ACL of the folder but members of Domain Users get no such rights in reality.

-CouverKyle

baking

baking
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 20:17

Try [%COMPUTERNAME]

I'm not sure it will work, but the variables need to have square brackets and a % sign. The example in the help file was for a domain and they used
[%USERDOMAIN] for the variable.

I don't know why they won't let you use regular variable names, but I've never been able to get them to work without the brackets and only one % sign.

You could also leave the domain part blank and just put in LogonUser in the user field. That would grant permissions to the currently logged on user.