This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Question on building an .msi differently

2 replies to this topic

kris

kris
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 23:30

Okay, so I originally had my installer package set up so that it compressed all files into the .msi package, and that's all I had to put on the cd we ship (basically).  Now, I am trying to get my upgrade working, and if I DON'T have all the files compressed, and I get a setup.ini and setup.exe, etc, then I can edit my setup.ini to let me run my upgrade.  I am thinking that this is what I want to do..but I have a few questions first.....if I do this, then the user has to double-click on the "setup.exe" file, instead of the "product.msi" file.  This bothers me because in the first release of the product, they would click on a .msi, and now things will be different.  I don't want the user to get confused, not sure if this is an issue with installs?

Secondly, is there any benefit to have the setup build "compress all files" into the .msi package? I know it's nicer for the user to see one file on a cd, etc, but is there any benefit I will lose if I don't compress all files anymore?

I want to go down this path, but I also don't want to mess up the good thing I have got going already......(see, when I built the package withouth compressing the files, then I could run the upgrade just fine by double-clicking the "Setup.exe" file....but then when I tried to launch a .bat file from a shortcut in the start menu, it ran the Windows installer and said the file could not be found....I realize that my upgrade will need work and that I can fix this just-mentioned issue on my own, but I wonder if I am creating a world of hurt by trying to change the way I was doing things...??)

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 04:54

Why do you need to have a setup.exe to run an upgrade?  It should be possible to get an upgrade running with only the .msi file, as long as you fill in the upgrade table correctly.

kris

kris
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 14:05

I need to have a setup.exe because I need to edit the setup.ini to have command line parameters of "REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL".......

I don't want to fill in the upgrade table, because I am not doing a major upgrade, I am just doing a minor upgrade.  On upgrade, I only want to replace some files with newer versions, delete a couple of other files and perhaps perform a couple extra Custom Actions.  This to me, sounds like a minor upgrade......do you agree?