This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield DevStudio 9 and web update

2 replies to this topic

peterc

peterc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 22:33

Can InstallShield DevStudio 9 do the following tasks?

1. Check and use the latest updates from a web site. For example, I have created an installer but some of the files may be updated from the time that the installer is built to the time an end-user uses the installer. When the user runs the installer, the installer will either automatically check or prompt the user to click a button to check whether there are newer files available from my website.

2. Is there any InstallShield object that an application can call and that object will go to a web site to check for updates and download the updates?

Basically, I'm interested in knowing what web related features are available in InstallShield DevStudio 9.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 16:46

You could run the whole installation from a web site. However if you run the setup from CD I don't think InstallShield can automatically grab newer files from a web site instead of using those in the CABs. You may however be able to write such code yourself.

InstallShield has the "InstallShield Update Service" which you can install with your aetup that will automatically check for available updates and download them. You can also tell InstallShield to do that immediately at the end of your setup (there's a check box on the Finish dialog that you can activate for this purpose). Adding the Update Service to your setup is easy: it's an object, and the Project Assistant also offers you to add the Update support when you create your project.

There's one caveat however: using the InstallShield Update Service currently requires a separate contract with a yearly fee.

sogilvie

sogilvie
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 18:44

What about using VBuild??

Steve
Steve Ogilvie

Keep the light on human rights - go to www.amnesty.ca