This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

password edit field on basic MSI dialogs issue

4 replies to this topic

gmpk82

gmpk82
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:36

hi,
I am working on Basic MSI project and I need to provide a password edit field(box) on one of my dialogs, So I chosen edit field(box) and selected the "Password" property as "True" for edit field(box) then edit field(box) became "password edit field(box)", when user types something, edit field is showing asterisks(*) symbols , my requirement is that edit field(box) should not show asterisks(*) symbols or anything this is because of security concern.

can some please tell me how to make it work that edit field should not show anything when user types something .

thanks in advance
GMP

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:45

There's no control in Windows Installer which can do this. Also IMHO it wouldn't be good UI design not giving the user any feedback that he sucessfully typed something. Also I wonder why you do have such a requirement. I mean: anyone who could see the number of characters typed could also count the key the user is hitting on the keyboard, no?

If you really need to do this: One workaround I could think of is to make the field very small, so that only the first asterisk will be visible.

gmpk82

gmpk82
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 16:08

Thanks for your quick reply Stephan, you have any idea what kind of security issues happen if we show asterisk(*)  symbol?

does windows installer provide any facility that we can hide password when user types something in password edit field. if my requirement is must then can we achieve this in any other way?  please suggest me,  your suggestions are valuable.

regards

GMP

Edited by gmpk82, 13 October 2013 - 15:23.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:26

you have any idea what kind of security issues happen if we show asterisk(*) symbol?

No, I have no idea, other that someone could see the length of the password (number of asterisks).

can we achieve this in any other way

You would have to build an external dialog (if Windows can do this at all) and display it, maybe from a custom action.

gmpk82

gmpk82
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:01

thanks for the reply. I will see regards GMP