This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Conditionally installing MS SQL Server Express

1 reply to this topic

frede

frede
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 13:43

We have used the MSDE 2000 IS object to install MSDE with our setup. Now we want to start using SQL Server 2005 Express instead, since MSDE is not supported on Vista and there are some generiv problems with MSDE (conflicting with existing MSDE instances such as the one included in MS Office 2003 Small Business Edition). Unfortunately there is no object for express in IS 12, only prerequistes. The thing is that we don't always want to install express, but only if the user selects a specific setup type. Of course the setup type is selected once the setup has started and by that time the prereqs have already been installed.
I was also told that it is not possible/recommended to launch a second MSI install (which the express setup is) from my own setup since it is not allowed to have 2 msi installeras running at the same time. Is there any way to do what I want or am I all out of luck?

Thanks
Frede

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:46

You could write a custom launcher that will ask the user whether they want to install SQL Express, or launch the SQl Install after your own install (which means that you can't create a database during installation).
InstallShield's MSDE object basically is a custom action that launches the MSDE setup (which is an MSI) from the UI sequence. You could do the same for SQL Express, however it's not recommended. If your setup runs in silent or Basic UI mode the custom actions will be skipped. And on Vista the SQL instalaltion may fail because of missing privileges (UAC).