This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install script help required

2 replies to this topic

surya_mitra

surya_mitra
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:44

Hi,

We are using Install Shield 12 for our project. Main module of the project is an Explorer Plugin application.That is actually a COM dll. We have created a shortcut file (.lnk) file to launch our Explorer Plugin application.
We have two version of the application. Both version are having different icons. But when we uninstall one version and install another version, the icon remains the old version icon. On windows side Icon is getting cached. How can we resolve the problem.
But the icon problem is not happening when we register manually the com dll. At this time icon is proper.
Whenever we install and register the dll via install shield this icon problem is coming.
Please help us regarding this.

Regards
Ravi

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 16:11

You could delete the shelliconcache file (if I remember the name correctly) which forces Windows to rebuild the cache - which is time consuming. Better make sure the icon file have different names.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 14:16

Hi, please try the attached EXE. It is ancient, but as far as I remember this is calling a windows api "refresh icons" feature. I think we didn't use it for the problem you describe, but give it a try and see if it works.

Btw, does restarting explorer.exe or rebooting solve the current problem you see?

Attached Files

Regards
-Stein Åsmul