This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to delete already installed files in a patch

1 reply to this topic

elliot

elliot
  • Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:18

Hi,

I am preparing a patch for my main version which was already released.
Several of the components contain files that were dynamically linked.

Some of these files are now obsolete and must be removed from the target machine, when the patch is applied.
However - in the RemoveFile Table I need to enter the FileKey, the Component, the DirProperty of each of these files.

However, after observing the msi package of the original main-version release, I have noted that each of these dynamically-linked files has a unique value for each of the fields I have just mentioned.
The files I am interested have the same name (but were installed into different location).
For example, I found that a file has a DirProperty of _3D3474C2B70C4D2AAE176CA794A0F3B5
and a component name of
_9E5B18850EF945C4A92BF5D2321E1EE3

Also, I have noted that the DirProperty value may change for the same component in different builds of the Media (as for media build for a patch).

So I afraid that if a previous patch to my application will be applied (this is the 5th patch I am preparing to this application), the DirProperty will be changed in the cached msi on the target machine.

Isn't there a more-easy was to delete these files ? unsure.gif

Please advice.

Thank you
Igal

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 13:11

You shouldn't change the dir property in a patch. Make sure you specify the previous msi file in the Patch Optimization dialog in the release wizard.
You would have to add the file you want to delete to the RemoveFile table, with the relevant component. The dir property doesn't really matter here as long as it points to the correct folder.